Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:03:29 -0500
Norman Walsh wrote:
> Another possibility is to add more expressive power on the
> action side.  In other words, let the action side of the
> <target-element type="li"/> ask which occurance this is and
> adjust its output accordingly.

That's not good enough:

Consider:

<A><B><A><A><B><A><A><A><B>

Now I want to wrap sequences of more than one A in a paragraph flow
object. The problem is that by the time the first A's construction rule
is triggered, it is essentially too late to make the wrapping paragraph,
unless you use one of the hacks that have been already suggested (e.g.
manually trigger the processing of the other A's and surpress their
output elsewhere).

>   <list>
>     <li>...</li>
>     <li>...</li>
>     <li>...</li>
>   </list>
>
> Do you mean a single rule that would match all the <li>'s
> simultaneously?  I think that would make flow object
> construction for the elements in each <li> much more difficult.

No. The rule would match *the sequence of <LI>'s*. And
(process-children) would invoke the construction rule of each individual
LI. But the <LI> example is not interesting because they are already
wrapped in <LIST>. Consider the problem with A's and B's.

(element-sequence A
    (make paragraph
	(process-children)))

(element A
    (A's usual construction rule here))

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."