Re: More XSL Discussion

Subject: Re: More XSL Discussion
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:22:30 -0500
Rob McDougall wrote:

> Of course, once one has separated them out, one has to ask oneself if
> the second step is really needed?  Couldn't the transformation be used
> to insert "Inline Styles"? :)

I think that this is the correct argument against a two-step transform.
It is worth noting that DSSSL's first-step is optional, not implemented
by Jade, and not relied upon by any of the stylesheets I am aware of. In
other words, it is optional in every relevant sense. It would be strange
if the DSSSL "subset" for the web made it mandatory.

[Woody Allen on Hollywood in "Annie Hall"]
Annie: "It's so clean down here."
Woody: "That's because they don't throw their garbage away. They make
        it into television shows."