RE: Style vs. transformation

Subject: RE: Style vs. transformation
From: Tony Stewart <tony.stewart@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 01:29:11 -0000
Brooke Smith wrote:

"The question posed from looking at Omnimark is why use XML as the XSL
script, where I see a problem with understanding what are actions and
what is the output (Question - is <DIV> different to <children/>?)?"

I think this is a valid complaint about the XSL syntax: there is no
syntactic distinction between literals that are intended to be output as
text strings, and keywords that trigger additional processing. This is
difficult for people reading the XSL, and a real problem as soon as you
try to output a literal flow object that happens to be an XSL keyword,
such as "<children/>". (Not that I know of a reason to do this today,
but who can speak for tomorrow?) And in general it's not good language
design.

Tony Stewart
RivCom
"Publishing Structured Information"