XSL & XLL

Subject: XSL & XLL
From: Rob McDougall <RMcDouga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:12:35 -0500
There's not been much traffic on this list in the last day or so, so I
thought I'd throw out a thought that has occurred to me recently.

Recently, when I was examining the XSL spec and the XLL spec, it
occurred to me that the purpose of XLL is very similar to the purpose of
patterns in XSL.  Both are used for identifying one or more target
elements in the destination document.  They share a lot of common
functionality for locating the target elements.  Why then, are the two
syntaxes so different?

The only differences (that I can think of) between the two are:
- heritage (one is based on DSSSL, the other on HyTime)
- typical use case (one tends to target all instances of a particular
element, while the other tends to target a specific instance of a
particular element)

This last difference shouldn't be very significant, because I believe
that XLL must be able to let you link to all the instances of a
particular element in the target document, and XSL must let you target a
specific instance of an element in the target document.

Has this observation occurred to anyone else?  Would it be possible to
use the XLL syntax when specifying patterns in XSL?  What about vice
versa?  Is there any impetus between the XSL & XLL WGs to unify the
common portions of their respective syntaxes?

Just some thoughts,

Rob