Re: CSS Flow Objects in XSL [WAS: RE: HTML Flow objects that span rules]

Subject: Re: CSS Flow Objects in XSL [WAS: RE: HTML Flow objects that span rules]
From: Mark_Overton@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:08:57 -0400
I was just using the Table of Contents as an example of a format specific
element which is usefull.  Other examples are printer tray settings (1st
page on letterhead), background sounds on web pages, frame sets, page
numbers, indexes, call outs, meta tags in HTML, etc.  Sure, we can mimic
some of these things using smaller constructs, but you will always be
losing functionality.

I just think that print, on-line, etc are going to always have different
structures.  Trying to shoe-horn them all into one set of flow objects is
going to limit the functionality to the least common denominator.  As HTML
progresses are we going to try to implement every feature in print?  I
think it would be clearer to have seperate sets of flow objects for each
output medium.  If we try to create a master set of flow-objects and style
rules for all mediums I think we would end up with a giant, complex, set
which only confuses people.  I'd rather have small, targeted sets
applicable to only the format I'm trying to create.

I think it comes down to this.  Different media will always have different
logical structures.

-Mark