Re: progressive translation

Subject: Re: progressive translation
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 12:04:49 +0700
Kent Fitch wrote:

> As I understand it, the general XSL translation
> process cannot emit anything until the entire
> incoming XML document has been parsed because the
> translation rules can potentially require access
> to the full parse tree.

This need not be the case as jade -t sgml demonstrates.

The way I do this is to have two threads, one which builds the tree and
one which does the translation process.  If some invocation of a
translation rule requires access to part of the tree which is not yet
built, then the translation thread will block until the building thread
has built that part of the tree.

James