Re: Guidelines on marking up data using XML/XSL

Subject: Re: Guidelines on marking up data using XML/XSL
From: Paul Grosso <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:04:51 -0400
At 09:55 1998 04 30 -0400, Francois Belanger wrote:

>Why not add <attrib type="name"/> to XSL spec?
>
>It would let people choose between storing data in attributes or content
>in respect to their perpeption of the content, not about how it may
>affect performance.  More complex access should still be done with eval
>like My parent name is <eval>this.parent.getAttribute("name")</eval>
>
>I'd like to hear from the W3C group about this.

The XSL WG has said many times on this mailing list and elsewhere that
we will certainly provide some declarative (i.e., non-scripting) way of
retrieving attribute values.

We've also announced that we plan to release our first WD in July--see
<http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/> for more public info and pointers.