Re: XSL formatting model

Subject: Re: XSL formatting model
From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:08:51 -0400
>>That's not just the way people use the
>>technology, it is the technology itself. It does not allow design that
>.take advantage of centuries of experience about the way that the human eye
>>works.

I agree entirley, but let us not forget that the human eye views the screen
quite differently from the printed page for a whole number of reasons. Fonts
and formatting that look great on the printed page can be obtuse and ugly on
the screen!!

Having said that, we cannot even have a topic of "web typography" until we
have a means of making it happen. CSS positioning properties and the
@fontface rules are the beginings of making it possible. It would be great
if XSL made it probable!!

Frank Boumphrey.