RE: Defining widget flow objects (was Re: Interactive XML)

Subject: RE: Defining widget flow objects (was Re: Interactive XML)
From: JLemire@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:03:43 -0700
I would like to see XSL avoid getting bogged down in all that entirely add
just semi opaquely pass whatever the style sheet author puts in the action
through to the output stream and let the next cog in the machine do what it
knows to do with it.  That way there needs be no reving of XSL or HTML or
any other recommendations to keep sets of flow objects in sync...

let it:
	have a simple dtd,
	lose HTML
	define the pattern specification and matching rules,
	provide "attribute" rules and merging capabilities (making no
special case of "style")
	provide a simple object model (and keep the ro access to the core
XML om)
	keep the escape to script with lang attribute on xsl script tags
(default ECMAScript)

Processors wouldn't have to know about differing sets of flow objects, core
or otherwise and xsl wouldn't need to manage rev's to the core set.
Processor vendors could compete on sets of (script) languages supported,
size, speed, and efficiency instead.  Id rather see most of the "new" and
"interactive" come from css adopting "behavior"