`High-level' format specifications with XSL?

Subject: `High-level' format specifications with XSL?
From: Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Jul 1998 13:32:50 +0200
Hi all,

I use and love LaTeX because it allows me to `semantically' mark up a
document and let the computer worry about making it look good.  I just
tell it I want a section with the following heading, and LaTeX
produces the right amount of spacing and the right font weight and
size for the heading and so on, to make the output look good.

I'd like to use something similar for XSL.  While HTML has very
limited structuring capabilities, at least I can say I want a
subsection heading (<H2>) and let the browser (and with CSS, the user)
worry about making it look good.  But from my limited experience with
the xslj/jade combination, it seems that I can't just tell it I want
to have a section heading.  Instead, I must tell it that it should be
left-justified, the font style, the font size, the font weight, and
the spacing.  I don't want to do that -- users should be able to
configure their browser how they like, not have to accept my
specifications.

So, how do I produce `good-looking' (HTML) output without having to
specify all spacings and font-weights and the like?

tia,
kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)