Re: transformations: xml->html works, what about xml->xml

Subject: Re: transformations: xml->html works, what about xml->xml
From: Paul Grosso <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:34:57 -0400
At 08:07 1998 07 09 -0400, Wilson, James.W wrote:

>Sorry if I've missed it, but what would be an example of a stylesheet
>that transforms
>xml into xml? I saw the example of one that generates html, but doesn't
>that presuppose the
>'html flow objects'? Is there a way to specify 'xml flow objects'?

XSL as it is being defined doesn't generate HTML.  It can either
produce a flow object tree (using XSL flow objects--there is no
such thing as HTML flow objects) or an XML tree.  As I explained
in <http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg00526.html>
and elsewhere, judicious use of tag and attribute names when producing
an XML tree can lead to something (sometimes called "well-formed HTML"
or XML-using-the-HTML-tagset) that displays in an HTML browser.