Re: Forms, CGI ans special charaters

Subject: Re: Forms, CGI ans special charaters
From: Dave Jones <David.T.Jones@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:21:39 +0100
All,

I have managed to fix my problem with the special characters.
Conversion to ASCII can be accomplished by including the following.

# Convert plus's to spaces
  $parseString =~ s/\+/ /g;

# Convert %xx URLencoded to equiv ASCII characters
  $parseString =~ s/%(..)/chr(hex($1))/ge;

Browsers don't display "<" chars as it could represent a tag in
html. To get round the problem, you need to do the following
conversion for the 'main' special characters in HTML.

# Convert < > & " to 'html' special characters.
  $parseString =~ s/&/\&amp;/g;
  $parseString =~ s/</\&lt;/g;
  $parseString =~ s/>/\&gt;/g;
  $parseString =~ s/"/\&quot;/g;

&lt;    < (less than sign)
&gt;    > (greater than sign)
&amp;   & (The ampersand sign itself)
&quot;  " (double quote)

FYI more info on special characters can be had here
http://www.sandia.gov/sci_compute/symbols.html

Cheers,
Dave.