Re: XSL for structural transformations

Subject: Re: XSL for structural transformations
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:29:57 -0500
Rakesh Mohan wrote:

> I am trying to understand the scope of the structural transformations that
> can be performed
> using XSL (previous or forthcoming draft).
>
> In XSL can I:
>
> (1) Reverse a list
> (2) Transpose a table (rows to columns, columns to rows).

XSL includes a full programming language. The complexity of your
conversions is not bounded.

> Are there any mechanism to bind values to variables in the pattern section
> so that these variables
> can then be used in the action section?

There is no need for this. All of the information available in the pattern
section (and much, much more) is available to the expression language
(JScript) in the action section. What you describe might be useful as a
convenience feature, though.

The occasional act of disrespect for the American flag creates but a
flickering insult to the values of democracy -- unless it provokes
America into limiting the freedoms that are its hallmark.
           -- Paul Tash, executive editor of the St. Petersburg Times