Processing meta deta (or why XSL 1.0 is broken)

Subject: Processing meta deta (or why XSL 1.0 is broken)
From: Andrew Bunner <bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:39:02 -0700

  Let's say I want to generate <meta name="description" content="foo"> where "foo" is data contained in an XML file.

  This is an easy thing to do if you're using a processor like msxsl that implements the XSL proposal, but I haven't found a way to make this happen under the working draft.

  Without _javascript_, I'm not sure if I can transform element content from an XML file into an attribute value in a generated HTML file. Maybe there's a better/different way to go about this... if anyone can suggest an alternative, I'd be grateful.

  I'm hoping that I'm being close minded about this and that there is some way to do this using the new XSL draft.

  The goal--quite simply--is to not have any HTML markup live in my XML documents and to not have any data live in my XSL files. Here's my example in more detail...

-test.xml-
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<document>
  <description>foo</description>
</document>

-test.xsl-
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl=
"http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">
    <xsl:template match="document/description">
<!-- What should I put in here to make this happen? -->
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylsheet>

-output.html-

  I'm using James Clark's xt processor... thoughts, comments and pointers to resources that can help are all welcome.

-- Andrew

   Andrew Bunner
   President, Founder Mass Quantities, Inc.
   Professional Supplements for the Perfect Physique
   http://www.massquantities.com