[2.2] Reference to Tool Behaviour Out Of Scope?

Subject: [2.2] Reference to Tool Behaviour Out Of Scope?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:26:28 -0400
[2.2] Reference to Tool Behaviour Out Of Scope?

I have a suggestion about the relevance of something I read in the
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-xsl-19980818 version of the XSL specification.

In Section 2.2 I found this interesting quote:

  "stylesheet creation tools need not provide
  control over the order in which the elements occur"

I suggest this is out of scope of the specification document and is,
indeed, implicit from the first part of the sentence, which reads in whole as:

  "Users are free to order the elements as they
  prefer, and stylesheet creation tools need not
  provide control over the order in which the
  elements occur."

I feel this technology specification should not comment on tool behaviour
of tools not related to the _processing_ of XSL (the user interface of a
stylesheet creation tool is, in my opinion, unrelated to the processing of
that stylesheet).

This comment "jumped out at me" (those of you who have known me for a while
will remember my feelings :{)} about certain tools not providing control of
the order of generated tool output) and I recommend that this phrase be
removed.

--
G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/