Re: [2.4.2] : Element Nodes - Original Markup Preservation

Subject: Re: [2.4.2] : Element Nodes - Original Markup Preservation
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:32:56 -0500
Tony Graham wrote:

> At 9 Sep 1998 20:26 -0400, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>  > Is the XSL group considering including features in the specification to
>  > support the preservation of source document markup in an result document?
>
> In section 2.7.2, Overview:
>
>    Issue (identity-transform): There needs to be a way to do the
>    identity transformation (creating a result tree identical to the
>    source tree). How should this be done?

There are two different identity transformations. One is the logical
identity transformation that creates a new document with the same logical
structure (grove) as the input document. The other is the literal,
byte-wise identity transformation that creates a document with the same
physical structure (bit pattern) as the input document. I would be amazed
if the XSL specification supported the latter, because it would require a
very large amount of rarely useful information to travel from the parser
to the grove and into the output.

I would urge that a "markup editor" like SPAM is a different sort of tool
from a transformation language. You COULD put them together, but that
would put an unreasonable burden on implementors.

Everything I touch turns into Python.