How to retrieve the current element NAME?

Subject: How to retrieve the current element NAME?
From: "Victor Zamouline" <desafinado@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:02:46 +0200
I may be missing something, but here comes quite a basic question:

I am willing to construct the following rule:

<xsl:template match="*">
    just copy the element name as a tag into the target document
</xsl:template>

which means, "after all match fails, assume as if had NOT been an element
node BUT a tag to appear as is in the HTML target document".

For example, if the source contains:

<BLA>bla-bla-bla</BLA>

and there is no match for <BLA>, then the target should also contain:

<BLA>bla-bla-bla</BLA>

but not:

bla-bla-bla

as it does by default.

I think, I could do it if I knew how to retrieve the current element name
(hence the subject of the message!).

I REALLY hope that my explanation is clear and that there is someone to
point out what I am missing out. :)))))

Thank you,

Victor Zamouline
desafinado@xxxxxxxx