Re: XSL formatting objects to HTML

Subject: Re: XSL formatting objects to HTML
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 01:44:56 +0200

\"Pasqualino \\\"Titto\\\" Assini\" wrote:

> Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> > I'm working on a style-sheet which maps fo:... to XML+CSS, will
> > probably release it once there's a browser out there that can handle
> > the result :-(

> Why not mapping to HTML+CSS ?

No good reason to, and good reason not to.

HTML, as implemented in several current CSS-enabled browsers, has some
hard-coded presentational aspects. For example, some tags have margins
that cannot be reset, or they cannot be made to be block, or made to be
inline, etc.

XML does not have these restrictions because there is no hard-coded
processing of the elements. Also, it is much easier to generate a
consistent parse tree from XML than from an SGML application (no omited
start or end tags, etc) and for consistent presentation of CSS- (or
indeed of XSL-) styled documents, a consistent parse tree is essential.

--
Chris