XQL + XSL = Better (kinda like scripting)

Subject: XQL + XSL = Better (kinda like scripting)
From: Andrew Bunner <bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:09:40 -0800
  I don't know how many other people have seen this, but I found this
(http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html) presentation on XQL. XQL is
(predictably) XML Query Language and it's only a proposal right now, but....

  If XSL style sheets could use XQL to decide which nodes to process it seems
to me that we'd be able to do more interesting things. e.g. Match all the
employee nodes whose wage attribute is greater than the wage attribute of that
employee's manager...

  Does this sound useful to anyone else?

  I thought it was relevant in light of our scripting vs. totally declarative
discussion. XQL is not procedural, but it does let you pick out nodes in a more
powerful way than the pattern matching functionality currently in the XSL WD.

  A friend of mine, whose opinion I respect, had this to say on the topic of
scriptability and XSL...

  "How hard do you want to make it for someone to write an XSL engine?"

  Your XSL engine would have to include an interpreter for a language that's
almost as complicated as C++. The opinion expressed was that there would end up
being only one or two XSL engines in this world.

-- Andrew

   Andrew Bunner
   President, Mass Quantities, Inc.
   bunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Professional Supplements for the Perfect Physique
   http://www.massquantities.com