RE: XSL intent survey

Subject: RE: XSL intent survey
From: Ed Nixon <ed.nixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 10:31:17 -0500
Oren -

I wouldn't be too discouraged unless 8.75% represented the proportion of
'active' participants on the list. Based on my very subjective estimate (as a
viewer), there are likely not more than 35 - 50 who ever post anything and, of
that, a core of perhaps 5 - 10 who get involved regularly. Perhaps rather than
thinking, 'have no opinion', 'don't know what to think' would be a more
accurate typification of the larger part. I don't mind admitting that as my
view. I've come to the list to try to educate myself about this stuff. In that
regard, the list is being successful. I don't feel competent, however, to use
other's band width for expressing or reinforcing my own ignorance.

On another level, it may be that those with a professional stake -- and that
seems to be a very wide spectrum of interests -- in what is happening in W3C
just want them to get on with it and get it finished...in a way that all of the
money bags consortium members find mutually agreeable. In a way that allows for
some consensus, rather than replicating or promulgating their marketing
department/MBA-style wet dreams of success. Obviously this has led to
fragmentation and confusion of many aspects of HTML. To everyone's detriment.
This, too, is my opinion (and that's *all* it is.)

Regards and thanks (if no one else has bothered) for taking this on and
following through.		...edN