xsl + xsl -> xsl

Subject: xsl + xsl -> xsl
From: "alan dennis" <alan_l_dennis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:24:03 PST
Hello,

I would like to transform XSL using XSL.  The idea here is to have
device independent XSL that represents general layout and then apply a
device specific XSL and take the result and apply it to XML.  My problem
at this point is I can't seem to modify an attribute tag.  Here's an
example:

<xsl:attribute name="n-columns-spanned"><xsl:value-of
select="//YAXIS/@MAXDESCCOUNT"/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="n-rows-spanned"><xsl:value-of
select="//XAXIS/@ROWCOUNT"/></xsl:attribute>

should turn into plain old

<TD>
<xsl:attribute name="COLSPAN">
<xsl:value-of select="//YAXIS/@MAXDESCCOUNT"/>
</xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="ROWSPAN"><xsl:value-of
select="//XAXIS/@ROWCOUNT"/></xsl:attribute>
</TD>

However I can't seem to insert an xsl:attribute tag without it being
interpreted as my wanting to add an attribute.

My motivation for doing the transformation in this order is that the XML
involved is much larger than the XSLs.

I'm using IE5's MSXML parser.

Thanks,
Alan.