RE: Inline scripting

Subject: RE: Inline scripting
From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:07:29 -0500
> Consider Chris Maden's simple example. I have a document with 300
> javascript scripts in it. I delete the first one in a WYSIWYG editor. Now
> I scroll to the bottom. The editing tool must run every one of those 300
> scripts because any of them could affect something that changes the stuff
> at the bottom. Furthermore, if any of them has a bug that causes an
> infinite loop, I can't even display the document.

Right. THese kinds of issues are ones of architecture. Even though DHTML
can achieve some really neat effects, I think that most people would agree
that self-modifying code is hardly a good things in most cases.

One of the most contentious issues in the DOM, namely "liveness", was
brought to the fore primarily because DHTML *forces* you to deal with
it.