Re: XSL FO competition

Subject: Re: XSL FO competition
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:57:34 -0500
At 98/12/15 21:37 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>I am interested in seeing an XSL formatter.
>
>Given an XSL formatting specification (ie an XML document to which an
>XSL stylesheet has been applied, to generate FOs (not HTML) and the
>result externalised as another XML document instance), a program which
>produces a rendered view of the document.

On September 30 at the SGML/XML conference in Tokyo, my (as yet unreleased)
shareware X2D stylesheet was announced.

This is a DSSSL stylesheet for any DSSSL engine that will render an XSL FO
tree as created out of XT.  Given the warnings in the first WD about flow
objects, I suspended development after getting started until the next
release of the WD (I'm not privy to the XSL WG work) and next release of XT
(I'm *eagerly* awaiting both), so I hadn't yet made an announcement to the
XSL group.  I implemented X2D with some simple XSL semantics to prove to
myself it could be done.

There's a link on my shareware resources page for being notified of
information about the software.

Would a componentized solution be acceptable for your competition?  The
components being a DSSSL stylesheet and DSSSL engine.

I talked with others at the Chicago conference, and I haven't heard of
other efforts started yet ... perhaps your challenge will spark other
approaches.

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/