Re: XLink support in XSL

Subject: Re: XLink support in XSL
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:22:26 -0500 (EST)
[Richard Light]

> In general I don't quite understand XSL's link-related flow objects,
> and would appreciate some gentle tuition.  We have an inline-link
> and a display-link, each with a Destination property: no problem
> there.  But then we come to link-end-locator which "represents a
> target for link".

The prose wasn't as clear as it could be (and that's my fault); I'm
not sure where the prose went in the latest draft (and that's not
(-:).

I don't know where the destination property came from, either; that
wasn't in the last draft, and I don't remember the WG amending it (but
I have missed some meetings).  The original idea was that a link FO
indicated a potential origin of a link, and any link-end-locator
children identified potential destinations resulting from activation
of the link.

An XLink auto link would simply be processed by the stylesheet;
there's no need to create an activatable object.  A destination-only
linkend (indicated by its role or any other application convention)
would not create a link FO; only an allowed origin linkend would be
transformed into a link FO, containing link-end-locators for the
potential traversal destinations.  Not all ends of the link need be
transformed to l-e-ls; only the ones which application convention
dictates are reachable from this origin.

That, I think, covers most of the debate that's been going on, from my
point of view, but I've been too busy to respond in detail and my
explanation may be less than cogent.

-Chris