Questions on the new XSL spec (section 2.7.12)

Subject: Questions on the new XSL spec (section 2.7.12)
From: Steve Dahl <sdahl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:32:22 -0500
In Section 2.7.12, the definition seems pretty clear, but I just wanted
to confirm that <xsl:copy>, when applied to an attribute node, can only
copy the attribute, and cannot modify its value.

Also, is there any difference between <xsl:element name="{name(.)}"> and
<xsl:copy>, when the current node is an element? <xsl:copy> talks about
copying the namespace nodes of the element--if you wanted to exactly
copy an element using <xsl:element>, how would you read the namespace
nodes of a source element, and how would you create namespace nodes in
the destination element? It sounds like the destination namespace nodes
could be created using something like:

    <xsl:attribute name="xmlns:prefix"><xsl:value-of
select="???"/></xsl:attribute>

...but because namespace-declaring attributes are not available in the
source tree, how can we know what the original namespace URI was? Or the
original prefix?