Re: Entity system identifier?

Subject: Re: Entity system identifier?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:18:21 -0500 (EST)
At 24 Dec 1998 09:23 +0700, James Clark wrote:
 > There isn't a mechanism for doing this.  Are you talking about external
 > data entities or external parsed entities?  If the former, there is an
 > issue (data-entity) on this, but I suspect it will be tough to get
 > support for this in, given how little external data entities seem to be
 > used in the XML world.  If the latter, I don't understand why you would
 > need it.

Since my original question was for ENTITY attribute values, I'm/We're
talking about external unparsed entities.

Support for external data entities and notations would ease re-use of
originally SGML data with XSL applications.  Having said that,
replacing ENTITY attributes with href-style attributes as part of an
SGML-to-XML transformation isn't that difficult either.

Not supporting external data entities and notations in XSL effectively
scuttles their use with XML.  Without support in XSL, external data
entities will see minimal use in the XML world.  That's not to say
that everybody would use them if XSL supported them, but there's
little utility in using them if your stylesheet can't "get" the object
being referenced as an external data entity.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632