Re: XSL FO competition

Subject: Re: XSL FO competition
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:38:52 +0000 (GMT)
keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
 > TeXML is now on alphaWorks. This is a tool that allows you to express TeX
 > markup in XML syntax and then translate it to the normal representation. It
 > could be used as the target of an XSL style which accepts FO's as input,
 > and thus -- combined with normal TeX processing -- might provide a path for
 > FOs to final rendering, albeit one that involves several additional stages.

please do bear in mind the mildly horrendous experiences with using
TeX as a backend to the Jade DSSSL processor. the process is somewhat
similar, and eventually you end up mapping FO characteristics onto
what TeX can do. the match is far from perfect, I promise you!
JadeTeX's tables, for instance, are very far from correct. and as for
boustrophedon.... [1]

I can insult JadeTeX all I like, of course, since I own it :-}

Sebastian

[1] come on, guys - how many people in the world want to typeset
boustrophedon? what uses it apart from some pre-classical Greek
manuscripts? i have heard of any one trying to reproduce the Greek
stuff in typeset material anyway. do some current writing systems work
like this?