Re: writing entity references.

Subject: Re: writing entity references.
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:43:12 +0700
No, you're not missing anything obvious.

It wouldn't be sufficient just to support writing out entity
references.  Referencing an undeclared entity is a well-formedness
violation, which will get a fatal error from any conforming XML
processor.  To support this, XSL would also either need to add ways to
declare entities or ways to add references to external DTDs.  This would
be a real can of worms.

I would say it was an abuse of XML to attach semantic significance to
the entity names. The semantic of referencing the entity should be
identical to referencing the equivalent Unicode character. If you use
XT, it will write it out in UTF-8, rather than as a character
reference.  With an appropriate font, you should be able to see the
right glyphs, so readability needn't be lost.