Re: Generating XML(HTML) from script in IE5b2...

Subject: Re: Generating XML(HTML) from script in IE5b2...
From: Guy_Murphy@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:37:39 +0000
Hi Joe.

Thanks for the reply, if not the regrinding of an old axe :)

I did as you suggested and ran the script in a browser, I've used similar
scripts countless times in web development, but just to be sure tried the
follwoing in IE.

<head>
     <title>Untitled</title>
     <script type="text/JScript">
               function displayVert (text) {
                    var result = '';

                    for (var i = 0; i < text.length; i++) {
                         result += '<div>'+text.substr(i, 1)+'</div>';

                    }

                    return result;
               }
     </script>
</head>

     <script type="text/JScript">
          document.write(displayVert('TEST'));
     </script>

Why wouldn't you expect this to work in a HTML file?

Secondly, rather than expecting XSL to re-parse the result, why would I
expect it to parse the result at all? I'm not being sarcastic, being new to
all this, I might well be missing something. The script....

     <xsl:script>
          <![CDATA[
               function displayVert (node) {
                    var result = '';
                    var text = node.text;

                    for (var i = 0; i < text.length; i++) {
                         result += '<div>'+text.substr(i, 1)+'</div>';

                    }

                    return result;
               }
          ]]>
     </xsl:script>

... is marked as CDATA, so the <> for the DIVs shouldn't get changed to
&lt; &gt; there, and where it's getting called, I was expecting it to get
written out to the output document,
not get re-parsed.

In short I don't think I'm getting what I asked for... what exactly are you
 assuming I asked for? :)

On the issue of generating nodes to be returned, and then output... hmmm
not sure if it can be done with scripting in IE5 XSL, guess I'll have to
tinker and see.

I seem to remember a thread discussing outputting a string rather than a
node tree, I guess I'll have to take a look at that too as I'm making
erroneous
assumptions about what XSL can spit out, I'm not getting my head around the
 fact that it's a node tree it's producing (which I'm not convinced is a
god idea).

<teasing>I just love discussing issues of an MS product with an IBM
researcher</teasing>

Cheers
     Guy.

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 01/05/99 06:10:07 PM