Re: Producing multiple result files

Subject: Re: Producing multiple result files
From: Tyler Baker <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 01:57:06 -0500
James Tauber wrote:

> Is it envisaged (or even possible now) to have a stylesheet that produces
> multiple result files?
>
> This would be immensely useful if one wanted to publish a single XML
> document as multiple web pages.
>
> Of course, XSL can produce a single file using FOs that has multiple pages,
> but, for arbitrary result vocabularies, you'd want to be able to produce
> multiple result files.
>
> Any ideas?

The implementation a group of people I consult with currently use involves
caching the stylesheet in-memory and sometimes caching the source tree as
well.  Since the stylesheets are for the most part static, you simply run the
XSL Processor several different times using the same source tree, but using
different stylesheets (since the object representation of the stylesheet which
may be a DOM tree is stored in memory, you do not need to waste time reparsing
it).

You could of course have an XSL Processor which could handle multiple source
trees and multiple stylesheets which would result in the total number of result
trees being the number of course trees times the number of stylesheets.  Of
course you can do this in a few lines of code without doing this in the XSL
Processor itself, so really it is trivial how you do this either way.

Is this what you are talking about or else am I confused with what you mean by
producing "multiple result files"?

Tyler