Re: GOTCHA!

Subject: Re: GOTCHA!
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:58:42 -0500
At 99/01/12 20:29 +0200, Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:
>For all those who are fighting against the restriction that XSL processors
>will emit only valid XML, here's a way out which works at least for XT. I'd
>be very interested to know whether it works in other processors and whether
>it is a valid trick (it probably isn't).
>
>Suppose you have a rule which goes:
>
><xsl:template match="...">
><xsl:comment> --&gt;
>Whatever I damn please, including &lt;, &amp;!!!
>&lt;!-- </xsl:comment>
></xsl:template>
>
>Running this through XT will emit:
>
><!-- -->
>Whatever I damn please, including <, &!!!
><!-- -->

Section 2.7.5 reads (in part):

========8<-------
It is an error if if the result of instantiating the content of the
xsl:comment contains the string -- or ends with -. An XSL processor may
signal the error; if it does not signal the error, it must recover by
inserting a space after any occurrence of - that is followed by another -.

So, when repaired, XT could not be relied upon to give the above behaviour.

>Isn't this fun?

Sorry to spoil the party.

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx