Feature Request: a fail condition for <xsl:if>

Subject: Feature Request: a fail condition for <xsl:if>
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:30:50 -0500
I'd like to see the use of <xsl:otherwise> as an "else" in the <xsl:if>
test construct:

    <xsl:if test="">
      <xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:if>

As well, a backward incompatible change would be to rename <xsl:otherwise>
to <xsl:else>, then we would have:

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="">
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="">
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="">
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:else>
      </xsl:else>
    </xsl:choose>

  and

    <xsl:if test="">
      <xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:if>

Alternatively (no pun intended), perhaps just remove the existing <xsl:if>
construct entirely and force people to use <xsl:choose>, substituting the
existing "when" with "if":

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:if test="">
      </xsl:if>
      <xsl:if test="">
      </xsl:if>
      <xsl:if test="">
      </xsl:if>
      <xsl:else>
      </xsl:else>
    </xsl:choose>

The above gives the impression, I feel, of a if-elseif-elseif-else block.

I think that having an "if" without an "else" will be confusing to people,
and perhaps just recasting the current "choose" construct into a multi-part
"if" construct will suffice.

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/