Feature Suggestion - result subtrees as macro arguments (REVISED)

Subject: Feature Suggestion - result subtrees as macro arguments (REVISED)
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:03:49 -0500
(After reviewing my post, I realize I screwed up and mixed two of my
(incompatible) thoughts into one ... this posting wholly replaces the
............. Ken)

Right now, macro arguments are attribute value templates:

<!ELEMENT xsl:arg EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST xsl:arg
  name NMTOKEN #REQUIRED
  value CDATA #REQUIRED

... and their default value can be specified:

<!ELEMENT xsl:macro-arg EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST xsl:macro-arg
  name NMTOKEN #REQUIRED
  default CDATA #IMPLIED

I've come across a situation where I'd like to supply to the macro a
fragment of the result tree as the value of an argument, as in the
following example:

<xsl:macro name="page-layout">
  <xsl:macro-arg name="title-block">
    <xsl:apply-templates match="title-prefix"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates match="title"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates match="title-suffix"/>
  </xsl:macro-arg>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="page-prefix"/>
  <xsl:arg name="title-block"/>
  <xsl:contents/>
</xsl:macro>
<xsl:template match="toc">
  <xsl:invoke macro="page-layout"> <!--supply custom title-->
    <xsl:use-arg name="title-block">
      <xsl:text>Table of Contents - </xsl:text>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="../prestitle"/>
    </xsl:use-arg>
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="toccreation" select="/">
  </xsl:invoke>
<xsl:template match="frame">
  <xsl:invoke macro="page-layout"> <!--using default title-->
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </xsl:invoke>
</xsl:template>

In the above, matching a normal frame adds the default "title-block"
subtree to the result tree, while matching the toc frame adds the supplied
"title-block" subtree to the result tree.

Can someone think of a better name than "xsl:use-arg" to identify the
subtree to be used as the macro argument in place of the default subtree to
use for the macro argument?

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/