Invoking XSL from XSL (was: Feature Request - Node Set Processing)

Subject: Invoking XSL from XSL (was: Feature Request - Node Set Processing)
From: "Boris Moore" <boris.moore@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:12:56 +0100
On Saturday, January 16, at 05:57 G. Ken Holman wrote
> So, to answer your question, an extended pattern language won't help
> because I understand the patterns are used to select nodes from the source
> tree, but doesn't change the interpretation of proximity to the selected
> nodes, rather, proximity is still determined by the source tree.
> I suppose I could do this in a
> result tree filter, but I (and other non-Java-programmers) would need to
> know how to program to work the filter, while my syntax above is wholly
> done declaratively.

Perhaps, potentially, it will be possible to use the proposed XSL filter
extension mechanism (or a specific variant of it) to invoke the XSL
processor itself.  The result tree fragment would become the source tree for
a 'second pass' through the XSL processor using either the same or a
different stylesheet.  The result tree of this second pass would get added
in to the original result tree.

This would provide a way of handling Ken's problem, as well as others.

Boris