Further clarification re:apply-imports

Subject: Further clarification re:apply-imports
From: "Nick Manson" <nmanson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:14:03 -0500
I have noticed a couple of ambiguities in the working draft with respect to
'apply-imports' that didn't seem to be covered by the earlier thread on this
topic (as far as I could tell).

1) How does apply-imports interact with 'global' (my term) settings such as:
	a) the indent-result, result-ns and default-space attributes?
	b) the strip-space and preserve-space elements?

and 2) Must imported stylesheets be complete?

It would appear from the WD that I could do something like this:

<xsl:stylesheet 	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
			xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
  			result-ns=""
			default-space="preserve"
			indent-result="yes">

	<xsl:import href="2.xsl"/>
	<xsl:import href="3.xsl"/>
	<xsl:strip-space element="bar">

	<xsl:constant name="foo" value="foo"/>

	<xsl:template match="bar">

</xsl:stylesheet>

where 2.xsl is

<xsl:stylesheet 	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>
	<xsl:constant name="bar" value="bar"/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

and where 3.xsl is

<xsl:stylesheet 	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
			xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl/FO";
			result-ns="fo"
			default-space="strip"
			indent-result="yes">
</xsl:stylesheet>

This raises a couple of questions:

1) Can the result namespace change when an applying imports?
On the surface at least, this would seem useful.

2) Which default spacing rule applies and over which section of the
document?
You obviously can't merge the rule 'strip whitespace from all elements' with
the rule 'strip whitespace from no elements'.  So, either they are scoped or
one of them wins.  The same applies for the indent-result attribute.

3) Can a rule in 3.xsl use the "foo" constant declared in 1.xsl?  Can a rule
in 3.xsl use the constant "bar" in 2.xsl?
I don't think so in either case, but I would like some second opinions.

- Nick.