Problem with XML specs

Subject: Problem with XML specs
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:02:39 -0500
Hi,

I went to links Chris mentioned to get diverse XML specs. I was surprise to
see that 2 out of three are already translated in xml. I said myself, great!
they probably already have a style sheet associate to these documents and
I'll experiment what it is to get...I clicked on the hyperlink....but...a
moment...you know the old joke about the shoemaker ;-)

a) My browser couldn't render the document because the DTD even if declared
in the document wasn't at the specified location. (to be sure I didn't got a
bug in the style sheet engine, I double checked by hand by trying to
download the dtd from the same directory as the xml document... but no, the
style sheet engine has no bug :-)
b) There were no style sheets attached to the XML document.
c) At the end of the document I saw the following comment:

<!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
Local variables:
mode: sgml
sgml-default-dtd-file:"~/sgml/spec.ced"
sgml-omittag:t
sgml-shorttag:t
End:
-->
hummmmm....

<joke>
And we are talking about interoperability, etc...Is it the "do what I say
but not what I do" thing again???? :-)))
<Joke>

Could someone serious at W3 fix the situation. Could someone at W3 show by
example by linking this document to a style sheet, if possible to a CSS and
XSL style sheet so that the good behavior start at the source. Thanx.

>From an other point of view, it would be a good start to create stylesheets
for these specs, at least get a version for each standard: CSS, XSL and
DSSSL.

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx