Re: License???

Subject: Re: License???
From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:39:55 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
Didier PH Martin writes:
 > I got that in an other mailing form Chris Wilson from Microsoft. He says:
 >
 > .... Even before
 > this patent flap, you would still "need to obtain a license" to use, e.g.,
 > XSL, because the companies who made the original Submission said you had to
 > (not just Microsoft).  I think this is an issue to be raised with the W3C
 > and how it works."
 >
 > <Question>
 > What's this license stuff? He seems to mean that to use XSL you need a
 > license from the companies (or individuals) who made the submission to W3C
 > (that should be W3C members). Does anybody knows more about his?
 > </Question>

I can only see (from the XML working draft):
Copyright  ©  1998 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio), All Rights Reserved.
W3C liability, trademark, document use
(URL:http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents.html)
and software licensing
(URL:http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software.html)
rules apply.

Both say:
   Permission to use, copy, and distribute ....
   in any medium for any purpose and without fee or
   royalty is hereby granted, provided that ... (proper
   mentioning of the original copyright owner
   and permission notice).

In any case, XSL is no longer the sole intellectual property
of Microsoft, because the current draft results from the combined
work of lots of people independant of Microsoft.

- Dieter