Re: XSL-optimized DTDs (Was: Re: Mixed content: selecting current context w/out child)

Subject: Re: XSL-optimized DTDs (Was: Re: Mixed content: selecting current context w/out child)
From: Marcus Carr <mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:07:41 +1100
John E. Simpson wrote:

> Actually, though, I think the more granular/atomic the structure, the more
> flexibility downstream -- not just for XSL, but for querying and (yes) data
> interchange. For applications, it's easy to extract the structured data you
> want, even if apparently overly-nested, and ignore those portions of the
> structure that you don't... but harder (and needing more hard-coding and
> application-specific intelligence) to *add* structure to the source where
> it's no better than implicit.

I agree completely - finding the correct degree of granularity is indeed the
trick. It's true that it's much easier to ignore unnecessary structure than it
is to imply non-existent tags, but any markup that can't be implied is
expensive - if it can be implied, then it might be of only marginal value.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx