Re: new layout and style for comments

Subject: Re: new layout and style for comments
From: "Scott S. Lawton" <ssl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:08:37 -0500
Andy Dent <dent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

>The key points are:
>1) a triple model, where layout of the page is described separately from
>mere stylistic info (such as margins, font styles).

Very sensible IMHO.

>2) minimal syntax:
>- ultimately the structure of the XML would be used to infer a page layout
>if not specified (eg: a sequence of nested tables)
>- a simple layout like <table source="students"/> suffices to describe a
>single tabbed display.

Nice.  I've also used default behavior to good effect to simply XML (for a
forms package I created).

>      <header page="first">

So, I could also have (at least in the design if not the implementation)
things like:
	<header page="odd">
	<header page="even">
	<header page="5">
	<header>

Do you have any 'specificity' rules (something I sorely miss from the
earlier XSL WD)?

>         <space ID="1-2" height="3"/>
>         <box ID="1-3" width="100%">

A stylistic quibble: using IDs that are in a sequence is fragile & awkward.

>            <inline ID="1-3-1" > School Title  </inline>

Another nit: "inline" doesn't speak to me (though I know what it is).
Also, instead of inline and an explicit break, how about <line> ... which,
in contrast with paragraph, wouldn't be automatically double-spaced.

>         <break when="each" where="after">
>            <graph source="marks" type="column"/>
>         </break>

What is "break"?

>      #1 {font-size:10; font-family: Helvetica}
>      #1-3 {font-size:14; font-weight:bold; font-style: italic}
>      #1-5 {font-size:9}

How about class instead of ID?

>         <marks>
>            <eng101>53</eng101>
>            <eng102>65</eng102>
>         </marks>

It seems like the tags switch from general to specific; how about:
            <class which="eng101">53</class>
            <class which="eng102">65</class>

These are just nits; looks quite interesting!

cheers,

-- SSL, PreFab Software <http://www.prefab.com/>