Re: RE: Should expansions be allowed in select/match strings ? (OR can you solve this without this !?)

Subject: Re: RE: Should expansions be allowed in select/match strings ? (OR can you solve this without this !?)
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <AlistairMacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:15:35 +0100

>>> Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 03/26 3:12 pm >>>
> We had the same frustration with IE5, but can now achieve it with the
> new context() function (in our case we wanted to jump from one node to
> another when processing fragments and fragment contexts.) Your line
> would become:
>
>	<xsl:for-each select="../../../item[@name=(context()/@src})]">
>
>I don't know if this is an MS-only extension or not, but it has allowed
> us to implement loads of the rules that we just couldn't do before.

This must be MS-specific since it isn't in the WD, isn't supported by XT. It also looks very similar to my first example (included again below).

However, it doesn't ANSWER the question - well, apart from saying that MS do it - which was "SHOULD this be allowed ?". I suppose the secondary question is "why ISN'T it allowed?" - was it deliberate, or just an oversight ?

(Telling my boss that the only way to do what he wants is rewrite large chunks of the files using java and/or load each file into IE and then save it is unlikely to go down well ... 8-)

[...]