Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: Marcus Carr <mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:08:15 +1000
Didier PH Martin wrote:

> a) for rendition in browsers validation is overkill and not really
> necessary. We have to reduce publication frictions
> b) for information exchange like business to business transactions (i.e.
> EDI) validation becomes necessary to prevent the "garbage in" problem to ERP
> systems.
>
> Thus, these two distinct XML usages requires different way to process (i.e.
> parse) the documents. Its simply a matter of choosing the right stuff for
> the right occasion :-)

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I understood that IE5 does process the
DTD, it just doesn't validate the instance. Under what circumstances is it
beneficial to process the DTD but then not apply the logic to the instance? Is
processing the DTD not an overhead without benefit?

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx