Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:52:05 +0200

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> you are right it parse the DTD from a syntactic point of view but do not
> enforce the structural integrity of the document. It is faster to just parse
> the DTD syntax than to enforce structural integrity. It takes the principle
> that it will try to render the document even if a structural error is
> present. So, rendition takes over integrity of the structure. This is
> because the browser main purpose is to render.

Yes, the main purpose is to render. To do that, it needs a parse tree.
To behave consistently over all browsers, they all need to have the same
parse tree.

Now that we have DOM and stylesheets, people are depending on that parse
tree. It is simply false to assert that a correct parse tree is not
needed for rendering.

--
Chris