Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: Paul Prescod <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:40:53 -0600
Jeff Greif wrote:

> I'm hesitant to enter this thread since I'm far from an expert, but...
>
> The problem is that the browser is really a processing application, for
> example, using XSL to transform or render the document (at least in
> principle).  If the document is supposed to conform to a DTD, the XSL code
> will be a lot simpler if it can assume it will find what it wants where it
> expects it.

I agree totally. But that's not what Chris said. He said that without the
DTD there "is no parse tree." That isn't true on a technical level.

I would be the last person to argue against the *value* of a DTD and the
value of validating against the DTD before displaying a document. I did
point out in my last message that a bug in the XML spec. makes the IE 5.0
behavior fairly defensible. Just because a DTD is there does not mean that
it is meant to be complete. If it is not meant to be complete then
reporting that is not very useful to anyone.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Other Operating Environments Will Have Trouble Keeping up with Linux's
Growth"
 - http://www.idc.com/Data/Software/content/SW033199PR.htm
   International Data Corporation bulletin