Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?

Subject: Re: Why Doesn't IE5 use the DTD to Validate?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 08:19:20 +0700
Chris Lilley wrote:

> If that understanding (<!ELEMENT is the validating switch ) is wrong,
> then please point it out.

That's probably about the best heuristic there is and would work most
(although not all) the time, but there's nothing in the spec to warrant
the claim that this is the intent of the spec, and there's certainly no
requirement in the spec that a validating parser implement this.

In any case I'm not sure it would be a good idea for a *browser*
automatically to use such a heuristic.  Given:

<?xml verson="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE doc SYSTEM "doc.dtd">
<doc>...</doc>

I don't want to wait for the browser to read "doc.dtd" before it
displays the document to me.

James