RE: SUMMARY: XML Validation Issues (was: several threads)

Subject: RE: SUMMARY: XML Validation Issues (was: several threads)
From: "Ed Nixon" <ed.nixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:03:08 -0400
On Behalf Of Chris Lilley
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 1999 8:33 PM
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<snip>
I don't sense consensus yet on whether client-side validation is always
desirable; it clearly is in some cases and clearly adds little in other
cases.
<snip>

This is controversial however it might be useful to try to agree on a 'point
of stability'

<snip>
The assertion has been made that client-side validation is a performance
load, compared to just parsing the dtd looking for fixed attributes etc;
but no performance figures were made available. If someone has a parser
they could instrument and provide some actual measurements on real-world
data, that would help.
<snip>

Speaking as an old modeler/simulator/etc., we would/should probably define
some scenarios here...<sigh> that deal with numerous questions:

- Where does the document 'reside'?
- Where the DTD resident?
- How large are each?
- Has anything new happened with the fragment standards work?
- Have we figured out how to serialize or otherwise condense/compact/index
the content? The schema?

These questions and dozens of others point to the innate immaturity of the
specification(s). I feel there is enough in the current versions of the
various standards and drafts (with clarifications, etc.) to deal with at the
moment from the standpoint of uptake, adoption and implementation. (Again
I'm wearing the assessors/adopter's hat; not the developers' or the
innovators' or the opportunizers'.)

What would be very useful as an extension of Ken Sall's list of points would
be a prioritized 'agenda' that somehow takes into account the many, many
innovations -- implicit and explicit -- that are happening in and around the
various X-specs. What would be more than one could hope for would then be a
time-line for evolution and implementation.

...edN