browsing text elements

Subject: browsing text elements
From: jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jeff Royal)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 99 11:31:50 PDT
I'm just getting my feet wet with XML not to mention HTML,
can anyone help me with the following problem?

I'm trying to display an XML text element using an XSL stylesheet
(IE5).  The results are almost right, but not quite.
Here is the XML source:

<item>
  <text>
    This block of text needs to be displayed by the
    browser exactly as it appears here (i.e. respecting
    all line breaks).

    Is this possible?
  </text>
</item>

I've used PRE in my stylesheet for displaying this block:

   <pre><xsl:value-of select="text"></pre>

and the result displays:

This block of text needs to be displayed by the
    browser exactly as it appears here (i.e. respecting
    all line breaks).

    Is this possible?

Does anyone have any advice on how to display this either a) with the
first line of text aligned with the rest of the block, or b) all lines
left justified?