Re: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)

Subject: Re: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <AlistairMacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:35:32 +0100

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | If I were to locate the entire quote I'd have to write
> |
>| nt.xml#root().descendant(21,chapter).span(child(12,v),child(13,v))
>
> * James Tauber
> |
> | I didn't think spans could act as relative location terms,
>
> They can't. In terms of the grammar they are OtherTerms.

Really ? According to the WD that I have (WD-xptr-19980303) the arguments of span() are both XPointers (from grammar - [15]) and both are interpreted relative to the SPAN's location (from text - S3.4 ) ie. they both have implicit origin()'s instead of root()'s.
Note that the example given by Lars (& myself in a private email to Chris) are almost identical to the example given in that WD.

Alistair