Severe limitations in tests ([]) and id()

Subject: Severe limitations in tests ([]) and id()
From: Kevin Smith <kesmit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:40:19 -0400
I've been playing around with the latest XSL WD and XT and
I have come across some severe limitations in square bracket
testing ([]) and id().  I believe this has been brought up
before, but it appears as though [] can only be used to test
the existence of a node or to compare a node to a quoted string.
It would be nice if comparisons could be made to any other
node in the document, or at least arg() or constant().

A similar, but not as severe limitation seems to exist in
id().  Although the argument can be a pattern, I couldn't
get arg() to work.

Without these features, doing operations such as sorting an
index and grouping the secondary keys under the primary keys
appears impossible.

Kevin Smith
SAS Institute
Kevin.Smith@xxxxxxx