Re: XSL as a better XPointer was RE: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)

Subject: Re: XSL as a better XPointer was RE: The Cathedral and the Bizarre (was: do you use pi's?)
From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:35:53 +0200

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> However, we see that with a few extensions, namely XQL, the XSL pattern
> matching language (language #3) can serve as an effective XML pointer
> description language. A range is a funny sort of 'pointer' in any case, it
> corresponds to a paired start location/pointer and end location/pointer.

> This can be expressed as a pair of XSL/XQL patterns.

Its not "funny"; it just means that the thing pointed to is not an
entity. Thus, it indeed needs a pair of pointers.

Two individual points is not the same as a range, although both may be
indicated in the same way; how does XQL indicate two points (two
pointers) as opposed to a range (pair of pointers)?

--
Chris