RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful

Subject: RE: Formatting Objects considered harmful
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 13:11:42 -0400
At 12:05 PM 4/17/99 -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:
>I think that this danger [someone's wanting to build
>documents in an FO-only way] can happen only if a major manufacturer with a
>sufficient market share publish a product which produces FOs. If we look at
>these manufacturers:
>a) Microsoft - they choused an other path ( a mix of semantic XML, non
>semantic XML and HTML+CSS)
>b) Corel - They choused a XML/SGML/HTML path.
>
>I think the probability that this happens is quite low.

Yes. Also -- again, as I read it -- the essay which triggered this thread
argues not about the danger of "a product which produces FOs," but about
the danger of a product which produces *only* FOs, shorn of the semantics
built into normal XML document instances. Hard for me to imagine an MS or
Corel interested in doing so, at this stage of the game.